Saturday, July 19, 2008

Walmart: The Super KIller

I had no idea how bad walmart is. I always liked their low prices. I don't think I am going to shop there anymore if I can help it. I do live in a small town, so there may be times I can't find something anywhere but walmart, but I will always try to NOT shop there anymore. I just watched a documentary on the store. It's pathetic how they treat their employees, and how they come into towns and ruin the businesses there. There are so many walmarts in so many states that are being sued for not paying their employees correctly. The managers at walmarts are taught how to go into the computers and "fix" peoples hours...by fix I mean take away anything above forty hours a week. They don't want to pay overtime. They have HORRIBLE health benefits for their employees too. A lot of walmart employees are on state assistance...in fact, walmart tells their employees to take advantage of the government programs like wic, foodstamps, and medicade. Why is a billion dollar business not paying their employees well? Why do they not give their employees the best medical coverage they can find? Because they are a crappy company that doesn't care about anything but making money. I would encourage anyone to NOT shop at walmart.

4 Comments:

Blogger Owen said...

I boycott Wal-Mart. The prices aren't that much cheaper than Target and a normal grocery store.

I'm from a small town where there are no shopping alternatives to Wal-Mart. They were run out of business years ago, so when I'm home I have to make the occasional exception. Luckily it's so cheap to live in Western NY, that a Wal Mart salary is a decent living wage, so I don't feel as bad about them here.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

Yeah, walmarts are coming into so many small towns and taking over. all the small businesses are going out of business. Places that have been in business for years and years. PLUS walmart gets subsidities from the government... outrageous amounts to come into these towns. money that could go to schools and small businesses....it's horrible.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Mommy of Four said...

wow. Where can I find this documentary? I do shop at walmart, because we struggle to make ends meet, and here it's little-to-no choice. We can either pay double at our one other store or go to walmart and still maybe be able to pay our bills at the end of the month. We normally choose the latter. As much as I hate walmart, it's key to our survival. They'll be remodelling ours and re-opening it as a super walmart by fall. It will really help us a lot. I have heard rumors about their sweat shops and stuff, but I have yet to see a documentary...it'd be great if I could find whatever you watched!

Sorry your dipes are taking so long. It's a long story as to what's been going on...I can tell you over the phone sometime...definitely not going public with it. Life has sucked, though. After the 26th, my schedule frees up. For a month. Then it's back to nursing school I go. Yippee.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

the documentary is called walmart: the high cost of low prices. I got it off netflix....i don't know where you can find it to watch..maybe a blockbuster. it's definately worth watching. i know that in smaller towns it's hard to find alternatives other than walmart (which is a problem caused by walmart)..but i would strongly advice anyone to try to find alternatives. catch the sales at the grocery store and target is really not much more than walmart. we don't have a target in town, but twenty minutes away we do..and i am very willing to drive that. anyway, that's cool about the dipes. I will try to give you a call this week....when is good? or you could just call me...

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home