Thursday, July 24, 2008

Supersize Me

I just watched "Supersize Me" for the first time the other night. It was an interesting documentary. I wish that more americans would watch this and realize that eating out all the time is not good for you at all. It's sad how so many americans are overweight these days. It's even more sad how much children are overweight these days. We try to eat healthy. When we do eat out, I try to find good choices for us. There is this awesome cafe in our town that serves mostly vegetarian things, and it's all fresh and just down right yummy. Those are the kinds of places I like. I will admit, I love chick-fil-a too. :) I also make most of our food. I do buy chicken nuggets and hamburger patties and corn dogs frozen..but it's all vegetarian...morning star makes awesome vegetarian things. I don't mind feeding Ty that stuff. I love going to the farmers market and getting fresh fruit and veggies too. We could be more aware of our choices when it comes to eating, but I do feel that we do a good job. The other day I made spinach and cheese manicotti, and the day before that I made tofu pot stickers. Those are the kinds of things we eat. Do most of you feel that eating healthy and exercising is important? Do you do these things? I personally, have been trying to work out at least three to four times a week. Plus we go swimming a lot. I want my kids to grow up wanting to make health eating choices and wanting to exercise.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mommy of Four said...

I wrote this huge response. And it didn't show up. Long story short, we're phasing out everything that's not whole & healthy. I've learned too much recently about pesticides, chemicals, and growth hormones to not. And Dane and I try to excercise 30 min a day 4-5 dyas a week. We do the Biggest Loser Cardio Max workout. We love it.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

what do you mean by "whole and healthy"? i'm not sure i know what all that includes.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Dena said...

I'm working on eating more healthy. I am trying to decide what I want that to mean, though. Jess Baron is teaching me about vegetarianism-thinking about that. I almost never eat processed/chemical foods. My kids have never eaten a hot dog/lunch meat/pepperoni-anything with nitrates. I don't ever have pork in the house and won't touch anything with MSG. I'm trying to lose weight, I'm doing low carb right now. But I'm also moving more and more toward a plant-based diet. I'm trying to cut out dairy, but that is hard for me. It's hard because the hubs is not on board, but we're working on it. For exercise, I try to go running every morning for 30 mins and I do 50 crunches and 50 other ab exercises per day. On paper, it sounds like I'm really healthy, but I have my down falls like hot chocolate (it's winter right now) and a fierce sweet touch which I am slowly starving.

"Whole" generally refers to foods that are as close to their original state as possible. For example-no processed foods, sticking to whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, real meat (as in not processed meat by-products like in hot dogs or some chick nuggets), not refined either (sugar cane vs. white sugar, brown rice, etc.). I'm not sure that's what Kayla is eating, but that's generally what it means.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Mommy of Four said...

You hit the nail on the head, Dena. we're getting there. Replacing what we still have with the healthy stuff once it's gone. If I wasn't concerned about waste, I'd just toss it all and buy all whole foods today,. But als, we're not rolling in moola, so baby steps it is for us! I am also sticking with the South Beach Diet foods. I have seen the best results in weight and health from this. Time to start phase one again...gotta get this baby weight off!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

How can you tell when things are processed? I was looking on a bag of cheese the other day, and it didn't say anywhere (at least what I could see).

6:58 AM  
Blogger Mommy of Four said...

I haven't gotten that far yet. WIC pays for our cheese right now, so I have to get what they tell me to.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Kelly Benware said...

Hey there! What got you into the documentaries as of late?! It was good talking with you a few months back...good ole times.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Jecca said...

This seems like a decent site to address your "what are processed foods" question: http://www.bodyecology.com/07/10/18/hidden_dangers_of_processed_foods.php

not all processed foods are bad for you, but unprocessed is the best. you could find more info by a simple google search.

-Jess.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home