Monday, August 18, 2008

The cheapest way

I only spent $16 on groceries this week. That's for the whole week. Eating a vegetarian lifestyle is not only healthier for you, but it's cheaper! I have also found a cool vegetarian/vegan magazine. It's called VegNews. The August issue is devoted to music, and they interview a few musicians that are vegetarian or vegan. Erykah Badu is one of those people. I really like her music and things she stands for. She's a cool chick. Here's an interesting fact:

"While millions of human beings, mostly children, starve to death every year around the world, "livestock" are fattened on grains so that privileged people can eat their butchered bodies. Every bite of meat takes food away from a malnourished baby."

-Mat Thomas "VegNews" Magazine

That alone should make you think twice about eating meat or at least eating so much of it.

Total plus: I found out about a chiropractic doctor that goes to my church. She has an office in town, and she takes my insurance. It will only cost me $22 to go see her. She gives a 30 minute massage before she does her thing. That's cool. Now I get a massage and my back worked on. Major plus. I tell you, having small kids does a number on your back...or at least mine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

I've done a little research about the quote above- the amount of money it would cost to ship the grain over to those people would make the food to expensive to buy. It's not really a realistic comparison- kind of like the old "Finish your peas, there are starving children in China".

We can do the most good by going over and dealing with why its so hard to grow food.

The general food shortage that we are going through right now might have changed things though.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - 16.00 for the whole week. That is impressive. I wouldn't be able to buy produce alone for my family for 1 whole week for that amount. Not to mention, eggs, juice, cereal, and ingredients.....

12:05 PM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

I will say, kristi, that I had some of the ingredients already...like noodles for example. But yes, I was impressed with myself. And very happy.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Maria Purviance said...

hey claire. I have not done research on the quote, but i still like it. if nothing else, it helps people see how animal farms are just not useful. there are more pressing things this world can spend money on than keeping up an animal farm that does harm to the environment and to the animals.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jecca said...

I love VegNews :)

And absolutely, the animal industry is extremely wasteful. The statement you quoted would not only be true in our country, but in every other country around the world. Starvation is easily end-able. It could probably be ended now even as things are if "business" and money and profit weren't the driving forces in our world.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home