Saturday, August 23, 2008

Together We Stand



I really like the idea of community. I like helping community, being part of and connecting with community, supporting community. At the farmers market here there is an organic farm stand. Jess and I have become members to it. What it is is a farm that is local and all organic. You become a member and each week you get a basket full of fresh produce. You can pick the size basket you want (that determines how much your membership is). Depending on the crop that week, you get tons of fresh, organic foods. People have been getting like 35 pounds of food a week this summer because the crops are doing so well. We have joined for the fall season. I am super excited to be getting fresh veggies every week. Part of the deal is that you have to go and work on the farm for eight hours at some point in your membership (membership is twelve weeks). They do this so people can become part of helping grow their food and see where their food is coming from. I think it's a wonderful idea, and I can't wait until Jess and I go and work our hours. That was part of what I liked about the deal. It's cool to know that there is a farm here that a lot of the community helps with to grow our food. And we are part of it. I am glad that we have the opportunity to do this sort of thing, and to be able to teach our children where our food comes from...not only that but help grow it!

5 Comments:

Blogger Owen said...

I have a lot of friends who do this and love it. I don't cook enough right now to make it worth it, but I plan to someday. I love when people come up with real solutions to the problems around. Have fun on the farm!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this before. I think it is a wonderful idea!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Vegan_Noodle said...

I love supporting community agriculture! Local produce is always the best too :-)

About your visit to Houston... we have lots of veg friendly places to try, depending on what you're in the mood for. Here are some of my faves...
Field of Greens (casual, sandwiches, salads, etc)
Mo Mong (asian fusion, not veg but several options including tofu luc lac)
Madra's (vegetarian India, most dishes are vegan, ask about dairy)
Pepper Tree (95% vegan, good buffet)
Feel free to email me at walkingtheveganline@gmail.com and I can send you more!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Cool Maria!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

p.s. they had one of these in Kentucky too.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home